Created on February 10, 2024
Gaia Carniato, Ilenia Castano, Ileana Cecchinato, Giulia Raffaelli
- Name of the work: Brera Altarpiece
- Author: Piero della Francesca
- Date: 1472
- Subject matter and tehnique: Tempera on Board
- Dimensions: 251 cm x 172 cm
- Museum: Pinacotheca of Brera
- 1415 - 1492
- Exact date is unknown
- Characteristics of his paintings
- 1493 payments for frescoes, church of Sant'Egidio (Florence)
- Three treatises "Tratto d'Abaco", "De quinque corporibus regularibus", "De Prospectiva pingendi"
PIERO DI BENEDETTO DE' FRANCESCHI
Federico of Montefeltro was the lord of Urbino. He wanted to celebrate the birth of the male heir Guidubaldo and to commemorate the death of his wife Battista Sforza.
The Brera Altarpiece was commissioned to Piero della Francesca by Federico of Montefeltro. Due to the lack of consideration enjoyed by its author at the time, the work was destined for the Pinacotheca of Brera and not the Louvre.
The ostrich egg, motherhood of the Virgin, is also a symbol of the Montefeltro
The shell is a symbol of the new Venus, Mary and eternal beauty.
Federico of Montefeltro
San Francesco of Assisi
San Pietro Martyr
San Giovanni Evangelist
San Giovanni the Baptist
San Bernardino of Siena