V8 Generative AI - A Teacher's Guide
Created on January 12, 2024
More creations to inspire you
Centre for Excellence - Jan 24
a teacher's guide
- UK Gov Dept for Education
'When used appropriately, generative AI has the potential to reduce workload across the education sector, and free up teachers’ time, allowing them to focus on delivering excellent teaching.'
Navigating this guide
Clicking on any of the interactive elements within this guide takes the user to another page.
how does it work?
What is Bing chat enterprise ?
What is Chat GPT?
Generative AI overview
What is Chat GPT?
You may have heard about a new technology called "generative AI" that is gaining attention lately. Generative AI refers to artificial intelligence systems that can generate new content, like text, images, or code, based on the data they are trained on. One example of this is ChatGPT, a free online chatbot by the company OpenAI. With ChatGPT, users can have text-based conversations and ask questions on any topic. The bot will provide human-like responses based on its training data. Users can even customize the bot's personality and tone. Like the internet, ChatGPT is a powerful tool that can help educators and students if used thoughtfully. There are many ways to get there, and the education community is where the best answers will come from. To support educators on this journey, Open AI have provided a few resources including links to introductory materials from leading education organizations and answers to frequently asked questions from educators on how to utilize ChatGPT for educational purposes.
How does Chat GPT work?
ChatGPT is trained on text from the internet - everything from books, articles, and websites. It uses this data to learn patterns about how we humans talk and write.When you ask ChatGPT a question, it breaks down your question into small pieces called tokens. Each token is like a Lego block that builds sentences. Using these token blocks, ChatGPT predicts the most likely words and phrases to form an answer. It puts the tokens back together into a complete response. That's how it's able to generate human-like answers to your questions! The amazing thing about ChatGPT is that it keeps improving the more people chat with it. Every conversation helps "fine tune" its skills. But while ChatGPT seems smart, it doesn't actually think for itself. It relies totally on its training data to come up with responses. It's important to remember AI like ChatGPT isn't the same as human intelligence!
is there an app?
does it work offline?
What is the difference between the free and paid for version?
is it free?
No, ChatGPT is only available through a web browser using an internet enabled device.
No, you must have a live internet connection to use ChatGPT.
What information do I have to provide to use it?
ChatGPT works best in English because of the amount of information available to it, but it also works in other languages including Spanish, Portuguese and French. The reliability of responses may vary depending on the language.
ChatGPT Plus subscribers get: priority access to the latest releases, faster response times; guaranteed access during peak times; responses based on recent events (a limitation of the free version).
How do I find it?
ChatGPT 3.5 is free. There is also a paid-for version, ChatGPT Plus, which uses ChatGPT 4.0
It works in most countries but is blocked or unavailable in around 30 countries.
To create an account, you need to use your email address, phone number, name, and date of birth
Can i ask questions in any language?
Does it work in all countries?
ChatGPT - FAQs
Microsoft Bing Chat Enterprise
When you log in to your Belfast Met account, Bing Chat Enterprise is automatically enabled when you open Microsoft’s ‘Edge’ internet browser. Bing Chat Enterprise combines Open AI’s generative AI tool [Chat GPT] with Bing’s internet browser capability – making Bing Chat your generative AI-power chat for work – ensuring that your data is protected and not accessible to those outside Belfast Met. Your chat data is not saved, it cannot be viewed by Microsoft and your data is not used to train generative AI models.
GENERATIVE AI ANDASSESSMENT
Teaching, learning & assessment
10 WAYS TOIMPLEMENTAI INTOTEACHING AND LEARNING
GETTING THE BEST REPONSES FROM GTP QUERIES
USINGCHAT GPTTO CREATECOURSE CONTENT
Implementing generative AI
Here are 10 ways generative AI could be implemented in to teaching and learning with Belfast Met college:
- Providing personalized feedback and additional explanations for students on assignments and coursework
- Generating quiz questions and flashcards for students based on course materials
- Summarizing lengthy texts and academic papers for students
- Answering common student questions on course content, freeing up teachers' time
- Creating first drafts of lesson plans, syllabi, slides and other teaching materials for educators to refine
- Developing conversational chatbots as tutors to provide extra support for students
- Automating administrative tasks like taking notes, tracking student progress, etc
- Automating writing feedback for student essays and assignments
- Producing realistic example texts for language learning like essays, reports, letters
- Adaptively generating new math problems and worked examples for students to practice
GPTs can’t read your mind. If outputs are too long, ask for brief replies. If outputs are too simple, ask for expert-level writing. If you dislike the format, demonstrate the format you’d like to see. The less GPTs have to guess at what you want, the more likely you’ll get it.Tactics:
- Include details in your query to get more relevant answers
- Ask the model to adopt a persona
- Use delimiters to clearly indicate distinct parts of the input
- Specify the steps required to complete a task
- Provide examples
- Specify the desired length of the output
Chat GPT Prompts
Prompts are very important when using ChatGPT and other generative AI systems.
- Prompts provide the instructions that guide ChatGPT on how to generate its response. Without a clear prompt, the output could be nonsensical or inappropriate.
- Well-structured prompts help ChatGPT stay on topic and generate relevant, high-quality responses tailored to the user's needs.
- Prompts allow users to specify the tone, length, format, and other parameters of the desired output. This allows customization of responses.
- Prompts reduce the chances of ChatGPT generating biased, incorrect or misleading information by clearly framing the task and context.
- Multi-step prompts can guide ChatGPT through complex reasoning by breaking down tasks.
- Providing examples in prompts helps ChatGPT infer what kind of output is expected.
By clicking on any of the buttons to the right you can explore a selection of AI tools by category.Generative AI tools are good at quickly analysing, structuring, and writing text or turning text prompts into audio, video and images. However, the content they produce is not always accurate or appropriate as it has limited regard for truth and can output biased information. Having access to generative AI is not a substitute for having knowledge in long-term memory, not least because we cannot make the most of generative AI without knowledge to draw on.So, while generative AI tools can make certain written tasks quicker and easier they cannot replace the judgement and deep subject knowledge of a human expert.
Harnessing AI tools by category
Generative AI and Assessment
At Belfast Metropolitan College, we seek to promote academic integrity at all times and this relates to our use of generative AI, where we aim to ensure:
- Teacher’s professional integrity, in terms of identifying generative AI usage
- That students are required to submit authenticity declaration in respect to submitted work