Created on December 15, 2023
What is Repentance?
- Repentance is when you ask Allah to forgive you for your sins and your shortcomings this can be done at any time and anywhere as Allah is All-Knowing and All-Forgiving.
- We should repent and ask for forgiveness as Allah says in the Quran 'And all of you beg Allah to forgive you, O believers, that you may be succsesful' (24:31). He also says 'O you who believe! Turn to Allah with sincere repentance!' (66:8)
What is repentance and why should we repent?
Repentance that involves the rights of Allah
- It is a must that whenever we commit a sin against Allah, .i.e. being immodest, that we meet three conditions:
- In order to make sure our repentance is accepted we must fufil these three condidtions and we should feel guilt and sadness that we committed these sins.
What to do when we go against a right of Allah?
Repentance that involves the rights of a Human
- Going against the rights of a human being is a serious crime as Allah can forgive you but a human might not and on the day of jugement they will hold you accountable for the rights you violated against them.
- However in order for you to be forgiven by Allah for going against the rights of a human you need to:
Going against the rights of a human and how we can ask for repentance:
How many times should we ask for forgiveness in a day?
How many times should we be seeking Allahs repentance?
- Al-Agharr bin Yasar Al-Muzani (RA) reported that the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: "Turn you people in repentance to Allah and beg pardon of Him. I turn to Him in repentance a hundred times a day". [Muslim]
- In another hadith Abu Hurairah (RA) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (SAW) saying "By Allah, I seek Allah's forgiveness and repent to him more than seventy times a day" [Al-Bukhari]
- This shows us the importance of seeking repentance and further shows us how merciful Allah is.
- Additionally, from this hadith we can understand it is a sunnah to ask for forgivness 100 times a day as the prophet Muhhammad (SAW) used too.
- Lastly, if the most perfect of creation has to ask Allah for forgivness more tha 70 times a day, then we should be asking more than a 100 times a day as we aren't the most prefect of creation nor are we sinless.
Hadith: The man who killed a 100 people
1. To stop doing that sin2. To feel remorse for doing that sin3. To decide never to do that sin again
What is one of the conditions we need to do when going against Allah's rights?
We need to sincerly repent so that our repentance can be accepted. If we do not sincerly repent from the heart then our repentance will not be granted.
Why do we need to sincerley repent?
From this hadith we can extract that the doors of tawbah are opened for everyone, even for the worst of sinners providing that the repentance comes from a sincere place and that you wish to change your ways.As Alimah's we should take into consideration the psychological factors and give our answer informingly so that the sinner knows he has done wrong but does not get fustarted that he gets in an even bigger mess.
What do we learn from the hadith of the man who killed a 100 people?
Jazakallah for listening!