Alaska & Hawaii
Created on April 28, 2023
Alaska & Hawaii
Diana, Giammarco, Sofia
- Hawaii is an archipelago located about 2,000 miles from the U.S mainland in the Pacific Ocean.
- The eight main islands are the Island of Hawaii, the largest, Maui, Oahu, Kauai Molokai Lanai Niihau and Kahoolawe.
- The first human settlements studied by archaeologists are dated around 300 AD, probably by Polynesians who arrived from the Marquesas Islands.It remained so until the colonial age when the islands were discovered by James Cook in 1778, during his third voyage to the Pacific.
- The Kingdom of Hawaii was founded in 1795 with the unification of the smaller kingdoms into a single monarchy by Kamehameha I.
- During the reign of Kamehameha III the capital was established in Honolulu, Hawaii was recognized as an independent state and the first constitution was written in 1840.
TO BE CONTINUED
- The Americans overthrew the monarchy in 1893 and in 1900 Hawaii was annexed to the usa and became a US military base in the Pacific.
- On the 7 of December 1941 the Japanese attacked the American naval base of Pearl Harbor and this brought the USA into World War II
- There are eight main islands in Hawaii, seven of them are inhabited, but only six are open to tourist
- Hawaii has been formed by volcanic activity and this process is still continuing
- The territory of Hawaii is characterised by earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruption -
- Some endagered species live in Hawaii
- Hawaii has a tropical climate.
- Several areas in Hawaii are under the National Park Service's protection.
hawaii in detail
- Alaska is the largest state in the US and is a federated state but also an exclave
- It is located in the northwestern tip and borders Canada to the east and is washed by the Arctic Ocean to the north and the Pacific Ocean to the south.
- it is sparsely populated due to its harsh climate.
The federal state rests on a double system of sovereignty, in that the federal central government has the powers delegated by the governments of the individual states that make up the union.
Territory located within a state other than the one to which it belongs politically or linguistically.
- The first inhabitants of Alaska were those people who reached America through the Bering Strait during the ice ages.
- The first European to reach Alaska was the Dane Vitus Bering, who explored it by sea, on behalf of the Russian Empire. The territory was later annexed by the Russian Empire
- The United States purchased Alaska from Russia on March 30, 1867, for $7.2 million
- On July 7, 1958, President Eisenhower signed the Alaska Statehood Act, which made Alaska a U.S. state, joining the union as the 49th state on January 3, 1959.
TO BE CONTINUED
- Alaska's economy is dominated by the fishing industry from oil, natural gas reserves; tourism also occupies a significant part of the economy.
- Alaska's nickname is The Last Frontier
- Seal of the State of Alaska
alaska in detail
- Alaska is divided in six reg-
- in alaska we can find the highest mountain of america, that is also the symbol of alaska
- in alaska there is a big variety of animals and plants
- in alaska there are lots of national parks, the most important is katmai national park