Created on April 18, 2022
1. The town
2. The Championships I.
3. The Championships II.
4. Trophies and prize money
- southwest area of London
- affluent suburb
- residential area divided:
- became part of London in 1965
- oldest tennis tournament in the world
- first tournament in 1877
- hosted by the "All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club" in WImbledon
- takes place over 2 weeks in late June-early July
The Championships I.
- grass surface
- five main contests today
- at the beginning: only Gentlemen's Singles
- difference to today: handmade equipment
- 1884: men's doubles competition and women's singles were introduced
The Championships II.
- winners are awarded with replicas
- men: silver gilt cup
- women: silver salver "Rosewater Dish"
- 1968: prize money was introduced
- 2007 prize money for men and women became equal
Trophies and prize money
- white dress-code