MODERN ZEN PRESENTATION
Created on April 9, 2022
More creations to inspire you
1. Research Question
8. Areas of Concerns
7. EE Outline
9. Secondary Sources
Biodiesel produced from an oil with a longer carbon chain length will increase the calorific value, the viscosity & the flash point of the fuel.
A moderately lower viscosity, lower flash point and a higher calorific value is prefered in fuels. I predict that Biodiesel produced from Rapeseed oil will have the most similar chemical and physical properties to that of petroleum diesel.
Step 1 - Manufacture Biodiesel by transesterifcation reaction in which 1 mole of triglycerides (vegetable oil) reacts with 3 moles of alcohol to produce 3 moles of alkyl esters (biodiesel) and 1 mole of glycerol, a co-product.
Step 2 - Place the mixture in a seperatory funnel to seperate biodiesel and the glycerol.
Step 3 - To calculate the viscosity - Heat the biodiesel before hand at a certian temperature and measure it, either by a mechanical viscosity meter or a manual viscosity meter.
Step 4 - To calculate Flash Point - Keep on incresing the temperature of the biodiesel and record the minimum temperature at which the vapours of biodiesel catch fire.
Step 5 - To calculate the calorifc value - Set up a self made calorimeter and use the principle of mixtures formula.
Heat given out by fuel = heat taken in by the water and the container
- Title - Research question
- Introduction - why i choose this topic and research question
- Background information - Biodiesel, Viscosity, Calorifc Value and Flash Point, transesterification reaction, Factors affecting these parameters.
- Hypothesis - results I predict for my 3 experiments
- Variables - dependent, independent and controlled
- Safety Requirements
- Labelled Set up
- Body paragraphs - Raw and processed data with calculations
- Conclusion linked to hypothesis - Limitations
- Evaluation/ Reflection - random and systematic errors
Areas of concern
Reflecting on the reliability of my Sources
Availibilty of Oils
- Osorio-González CS, Gómez-Falcon N, Sandoval-Salas F, Saini R, Brar SK, Ramírez AA. Production of Biodiesel from Castor Oil: A Review. Energies. 2020; 13(10):2467. https://doi.org/10.3390/en13102467
- Revised 11/2015; Chem 1101 Lab- EXPERIMENT: CALORIMETRY AND HEAT OF NEUTRALIZATION
- Baskar Thangaraj, Pravin Raj Solomon, Bagavathi Muniyandi, Srinivasan Ranganathan, Lin Lin, Catalysis in biodiesel production—a review, Clean Energy, Volume 3, Issue 1, March 2019, Pages 2–23, https://doi.org/10.1093/ce/zky020