Want to make creations as awesome as this one?
Little Rock Nine
Created on March 14, 2022
More creations to inspire you
Little Rock Nine
· Their names
· History before 1957
· How did they affect the history?
· First day of school
· The Little Rock Central High School
- african american students
- attended all white public school
- Little Rock Central High, Arkansas
History before 1957
.• Brown v. Board of Education (1954)
—> segregated schooling is unconstitutional
• white schools for African Americans
Little Rock Central High School
- originally called Little Rock Senior High
- plans for gradual integration
- much opposition
• segregation laws: separate schools for white and black
First day of School
- strong enough to face resistance
- Arkansas National Guard blocked entry
- Eisenhower sent troops to accompany the LRN
—> national attention to civil rights movement
After a while...
- Life became difficult
- got bullied, physical harassment
- Brown's mother got fired
- Only one who graduated there was Green
Picture of Elizabeth Eckford
How did they affect the history?
• school became a civil rights museum
• helped to fight racism
• honored by President Clinton
• Little Rock Nine Foundation
• all of them graduated
•many of them became journalists, social activists
• Carlotta Walls is President of the LRN Foundation .
• films and documentaries about them
Content and discussion questions
- What were the difficulties on their first day of school?
- For what did Bill Clinton honor the Little Rock Nine?
- Imagine you are one of the Little Rock Nine before and during your first day of School, how would you feel?
- How do you think the Governor Fabus's deployment of the Arkansas National Guard looked in the eyes of people outside the U.S.A. who looked to the country as a land dedicated to freedom?