Exotic Britain-version élèves
Created on March 4, 2022
1. Final Task
Deliver the opening speech for a new exhibition about exoticism in the 19th century Britain.
You are the curator for a new exhibition showing Great Britain's fascination and many connections with exoticism in the 19th century. Give a three-minute speech to open the exhibition.
1. Select works of art or artists related to exoticism in Great Britain in the 19th century.
2. Take notes about these works of art or artists and how they are relevant for the exhibition. Make connections between your examples.
3. Methodology : click here
Thématique : Voyages, Territoires, Frontières
Axe : Exploration et Aventure
3. Question at stake
What does exoticism say about colonial Britain?
5. Other documents
1. An everlasting Faschination
Document 2: The Jewel of the Crown
"Document 1: Egyptomania
Watch the video and answer the questions:
a) Pick out the different Egyptian traces that can be found in the city.
b) Say whether "Egyptomania" still exists in Great Britain today and why.
Youtube link : click here
Video : click here
Objectif bac : Comment analyser un document pour la synthèse + méthodologie si demande de compte-rendu au lieu de la traduction (cela ne sera que sur un petit passage)
2. From Fantasy to real travel
Dreams of the exotic
1. Look at the painting and analyse its composition : central figure, lines, colours.
Read the text and do the activities on this page.
Synthèse "guidée" en groupes de 4 - 4h - Rendre une copie par groupe
Write a short commentary on the three documents (minimum 500 words): taking into account their specificities, analyse how the documents deal with the British Empire and imperialism.
The instructions/questions next to the documents are there to help you analyse them.
Méthodologie : click here
Grille d'évaluation : click here