Created on January 30, 2022
More creations to inspire you
A little bit of history
Facts about jamaica today
The National anthem
WHERE IS IT ?
GENERAL FACTS ABOUT JAMAICA
- An island located in the Caribbean Sea
- In the Antilles
- 10,990 km2
- Tropical climate
- Capital = Kingston
A Little bit of history
- 1494 Conquest of the Caribbean by Spanish Conquistadors, namely Christopher Colombus
- Brought African Slaves
- Lead exporter of sugar
- 1655 Conquest by (at the time called) Kingdom of England
- August 6th 1962 Independence
- Third-most populous English Speaking country in the Americas
- 2.9 Million Inhabitants
- Fourth biggest island in the Caribbean in terms of population numbers
- Common Wealth Realm, ruled by Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of her other realms and territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth
- Complex history, influence of English-speaking, as well as African culture
- Jamaican Diaspora
- Birthplace of
- the Rastafari religion
- reggae music (and associated genres such as dub, ska and dancehall)
- internationally prominent in sports, most notably cricket, sprinting and athletics
Important Jamaican figures
Who is the governor general of Jamaica ?
The Queen of England
The Spanish Conquistadors
Who first conquered Jamaica ?
The Queen of England
Who is Jamaica's head of State ? (Bonus if you know the name of the political system)
What was Jamaica's lead exporter of ?
What emblematic figure of reggae originated from Jamaica ?
tHANK YOU !
- ‘Commonwealth Realm’. In Wikipedia, 26 January 2022. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commonwealth_realm&oldid=1068009000.
- ‘Diaspora’. Accessed 30 January 2022. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/diaspora.
- ‘Fun Facts About the Jamaican National Anthem That Few People Know’, 3 March 2019. https://blog.makeitjamaica.com/jamaican-national-anthem/.
- ‘Indigenous’. Accessed 30 January 2022. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/indigenous.
- ‘Jamaica’. In Wikipedia, 28 January 2022. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jamaica&oldid=1068469586.
- ‘Outreach’. Accessed 30 January 2022. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/outreach.