Created on November 27, 2021
The city of Dubrovnik is on the Adriatic Sea on the coast of Southern Croatia.
Slavic: dubrava = oak grove
Dubrovnik belonged to a thalassocratic city state in Dalmatia, which was called 'The Republic of Ragusa'.
A Medieval City
The city of Dubrovnik is a magnificently intact walled city, which is widely known for it s medieval architecture. There used to be 4 gates leading into the the city: the Pile gate, the Ploce gate, the Perskajia gate and the Ponta gate.
The buildings of Dubrovnik were mostly built out of stone. The city was built so that enemies couldn’t see them. Also, it was built like a maze so that if the enemies passed the walls, they would get lost. Dubrovnik is also known for its amazing narrow streets and alleys.
Various architectural styles
The buildings in Dubrovnik are built in different architectural styles. For example, the Rector's Palace is a Gothic and Renaissance palace with certain Baroque additions. Baroque is a style that emerged in Italy in the 16th century, which was characterised by dramatic lighting and colour, illusory effects, and designs that played games with architectural features.
An earthquake-proof building!
The rectangular Sponza Palace is one of the few historical
structures that remainεδ completely unaffected by a devastating earthquake which took place in 1667. It was constructed between 1516 and 1522.
The Walls of Dubrovnik are a series of protective stone walls which are 1940 meters long. The walls are thicker on the land side – up to 6m – and range from 1.5m to 3m on the side of the sea. They are up to 25m high.
Fortification: an effective form of defense
It is certain that the primary town was also surrounded by fortified walls, most likely mainly by wooden pickets. The creation of the first limestone forts around the city began in the early Middle Ages, near the end of the 8th century. The fact that Dubrovnik was able to survive a fifteen-month-long invasion by the Saracens in the 9th century demonstrates how well the city was defended. The menace of attacks from the Turks in the 15th century urged the city to reinforce the present forts and add new ones.
A famous shooting spot
The Walls were one of the Game Of Thrones shooting spots. It is a marvelous experience to walk down the Walls of Dubrovnik and think about the things you can do when visiting the city.
A word of Greek origin
The main entrance to the Old Town is called Pile Gate. The name is derived from the Greek word ΄πύλη΄/pili/meaning 'gate'.
In the old times there used to be a wooden drawbridge which was pulled up at night in order to protect the medieval, walled city. It was replaced by a stone bridge a long time ago which you can walk across even nowadays.
The Pile Gate is built in Renaissance style and there are decorative elements which are incorporated in the building materials themselves. One can see the statue of the patron saint of the city, St Blaise, over the gate. He is holding a model of Dubrovnik in his hands.
A short video about Pile Gate:
A world known pharmacy
As strange as it may sound, this gorgeous pharmacy is well-known as one of the three oldest and biggest pharmacies in the whole world and it is situated at the old city of Dubrovnik.
From the monks with love
This pharmacy was initially used by the Franciscan Monks to treat their own patients. Later, it was used to serve the needs of the locals. The pharmacy is still operating to date selling drugs and offering the required care to the locals.
The old pharmacy attracts a variety of tourists due to its beautiful décor, its variety of products and different recipes and one of a kind formulas devised by a Franciscan Monk himself .
A quote about the pharmacy
Old Pharmacy at Franciscan Monastery - Dubrovnik (dubrovnik-travel.net)
A history of destruction in a nutshell
The 1667 Dubrovnik earthquake was one of the most disastrous earthquakes to hit what is now modern Croatia in the last 2,400 years. Almost all the city was destroyed and around 2,200 people were killed. The earthquake also caused fires which spread due to the strong winds.
In 1991, during the Croatian War of Independence, Dubrovnik was besieged by the Yugoslav People's Army for seven months and suffered significant damage from shelling. The city underwent repair and restoration works in the 1990s and early 2000s.
The city has now been restored thanks to funding from UNESCO.
A history of destruction in a nutshell
yugoslav shelling dubrovnik - Bing images
large Onofrio's Fountain
Can you see the dog?
The Large Onofrio’s Fountain is a rounded polygonal structure situated in a small square near the Pile Gate. The fountain is topped with a dome and adorned with 16 stone water taps. A statue of a dog can be seen on the upper part of the wall of the fountain.
Onofrio's contribution to the city
It was designed by an Italian architect called Onofrio di Giordano della Cava in 1438. He was also the architect of other fountains within the city as well as the Rector’s Palace. Thanks to him, a system of 12 km long water supply lines brought water to the city from a spring.
An unfortunate event
The whole fountain suffered serious harm in the 1667 earthquake but has been carefully reconstructed.
large onofrio's fountain
A short video about Onofrio's Fountains:
Cathedral & Treasury
A long history
The cathedral of the Assumption of Virgin Mary was constructed on the site of numerous previous cathedrals. In the earthquake of 1667, this structure was mostly demolished and it was finished in 1713.
Revisions to the original designs
The installation of a cross vault and the introduction of huge thermal windows on the top level were two major revisions made to the original designs. This makes the entire area feel lighter and brighter.
The Treasury collection
The treasury has 182 reliquaries including relics from local masters, Byzantium, Venice, and the Orient, dating from the 11th to 18th centuries. The gold-plated arm, leg, and skull of Saint Blaise are the most prominent pieces in the collection (patron saint of Dubrovnik). The head is embellished with precious stones and enameled medals in the shape of a Byzantine emperor's crown.
cathedral & treasury