Want to make creations as awesome as this one?

More creations to inspire you

Transcript

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

THE CHURCH OF SANTIAGO

When was the church of Santiago created?

The immediately previous temple was dedicated to San Eulogio, similar to the current one but simpler and of lower height, built in the 19th century due to the demographic growth of the area thanks to industry. Before this there was a chapel in which King Aurelio was probably crowned, as some tombstones found during his demolition prayed. However, the 19th century temple was damaged during the October 1934 Revolution and dynamited in the civil war in 1936. After the end of the war, it was rebuilt with the intervention of the then municipal architect, the prestigious Francisco de Somolinos, using the foundations of the previous one. After the reconstruction, he was consecrated to Santiago, an apostle in whose name the patron saint festivals have been held since the end of the 19th century, with the procession taking place every July 25. In 2010, and due to the deterioration of the building, a rehabilitation was carried out thanks to citizen collaboration, cleaning the facades and replacing the most damaged elements (spiers, flying buttresses, roof ...), ending the intervention in 2012.

Who created the church of Santiago?

The Santiago Apóstol church is a Catholic Christian temple located in the Andalusian city of Malaga (Spain). His style is an exponent of two artistic moments of vital importance, the Gothic-Mudejar of the beginning, with a clear symbiosis between the art of the Christian reconquerors and the Islamic population, and the emergence of the Baroque of the early eighteenth century, which produces in this building a strong building renovation corresponding to the new mentality. In this church the artist Pablo Picasso was baptized on November 10, 1881.

Where is the church of Santiago located?

It is outside the walled area, in the area of Caleros.
Outside it has Gothic facades, which have archivolts and are framed by alfiz.Inside it has a single nave covered with ribbed vaults and with a large choir stall at its foot. It has a magnificent main altarpiece, for which the master Alonso de Berruguete was commissioned in 1557. He was one of the main Spanish mannerist sculptors, based in Valladolid. It was finished by his workshop and permanently installed in 1570.The images of Nuestra Señora de la Esclarecida, from the 15th century; Cristo de los Milagros or de las Indulgencias, also from the 15th century; and Jesús Nazareno, carved in Seville in by Tomás de la Huerta, are also interesting.

PALACE OF CARVAJAL

THE CO-CATHEDRAL OF CÁCERES

The Co-Cathedral of Cáceres is a Roman Catholic church in the town of Cáceres, region of Extremadura, Spain.

The cathedral was erected in the 15th century in a Gothic style, with the main portal following the Romanesque architectural tradition. The main 16th-century retablo, dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin, was carved by Roque Balduque and Guillen Ferrant. The interior has notable artworks and sculptures, including a San Pedro de Alcantara by Enrique Pérez Comendador.

This church was granted the status of co-cathedral in 1957; it shares Coria's diocese.

PALACE OF GOLFINES DE ABAJO

It is a palace in the monumental city of Cáceres.
This lovely palace is located in Cáceres, and was used as the residence of the Catholic Monarchs on their visits to this historic city.

Also known by the name of the Casa de los Golfines de Abajo, it is one of the finest stately mansions in the architecturally historic quarter of Cáceres. It has a Gothic structure, in keeping with the model of fortress-houses which were built during the 15th century, although its Plateresque decoration dates from the 17th century. The towers on either side of the façade have different proportions: taller on the right, and smaller on the left. The façade has a semicircular arch with crests at the sides. Above it are two windows, one with a grille and the other with a semicircular arch. This house was the residence of the Catholic Monarchs on their visits to the city.

ST GEORGE SQUARE

St. George Square , located in the heart of the walled enclosure of Cáceres, is framed by the church of San Francisco Javier, the house of the Becerra, a group of tourist shops and the tower of the Palace of the Golfines de Abajo.

In the middle of the square, on the wall, you can find an alcove with an image of Saint George , protector of the city of Cáceres. He is fighting and killing a drago. The image was made in bronze by José Rodríguez.

CHURCH OF SAN FRANCISCO JOSÉ

The church of San Francisco Javier, also known as the Church of the Precious Blood, is a Caceres temple of the monumental city. Jesuit church of baroque style built in the eighteenth century, rose, next to the annexed convent, with the fortune of a Jesuit of the Figueroa family, because this is the last link in a mayorazgo that was extinguished. The works began in 1698 and concluded in 1755.

ARABIAN MUSEUM YUSUF AL-BURCH

This Museum is a 12th century house of an Arab merchant. It was founded in 1976 and opened to the public as a Museum by Don José de la Torre Gentil who gave all his time and dedication to this beautiful house. It consists of several rooms, inside a historic house, equipped with artistic and cultural rigor to its end. You can admire: tea room, alcove, cave, cistern, cellars, weapons room, courtyards …

The opening hours of the Arab Museum House of Cacéres is:
in winter: from 10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. every day in the morning and from 4:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. in the afternoon
in summer: from 10: 30-14: 00 in the morning every day and
from 16:30- 20:00 in the afternoon.
The price is 1.20 euros. Free entry for retirees and children under 18 years.

ARCH OF CRISTO

The Roman doorway is the only one that still remains intact. It was built in the first century with large ashlar stones that were set in place with ropes and logs. The barrel vault lies between two large arches at the entrance and exit giving a feeling of lightness and space.

This arch is also called Puerta del Río. It was one of the entrances to the oldest preserved monumental city of Cáceres.
It is locates in the center of the eastern flank os the wall.
It is formed by two large semicircular arches, on both sides of the wall. Inside, a covered niche houses a painting of Christ, located in the early 19th century. Attached to the door is one of the defensive towers that flanked it, the Torre del Rio.

JEWISH MUSEUM OF CACERES

The jewish quartier

The Fuero de Cáceres was ratified in 1231 by Fernando III el Santo, and it encouraged Jews, Moors and Christians to inhabit the newly reconquered city. In confirming the rights and prerogatives of the jurisdiction, the Holy King gave Cáceres the power to organize and hold a fair in late April and the first fifteen days of May, a market in which both Jews, Moors and Christians were invited to participate. as repopulators. The Fuero, in fact, dedicates eight chapters to the Jews, who then only had to have a hundred neighbors, a population that must have multiplied in the two following centuries. The Fuero de Cáceres, in addition, collected the power that the Jews had, thanks to the royal concession, to prove their innocence by swearing on the Torah in the synagogue:

The Old Jewish Quarter of Cáceres is one of the most beautiful areas of the city within the walls. With urban planning interventions of little importance throughout the centuries, the current neighborhood of San Antonio de la Quebrada today retains much of the structure and typology that it must have had when it was populated by Jews. Its irregular and abrupt streets; the humble whiteness of their whitewashed houses; its seasonal flowers on balconies and small gardens and the daily life it houses create a strange contrast with the severe and monumental structures that crown it, the ocher color of sun-bathed stone. Its adaptation to the orography, being in the most rugged area of ​​the city wall, is one of the most relevant characteristics of the Jewish quarter of Cáceres, where the streets and houses form a very varied set full of corners, stairs and whimsical spaces that its current inhabitants have been in charge of preserving adorned with seasonal flowers and full of popular flavor.

The streets of the Old Jewish Quarter of Cáceres have marked slopes and slopes that sometimes carry steps, since they constitute the most difficult urban development end of the soil of Cáceres intramuros, and this has contributed to it being a place of poor construction, in addition to its intricate spaces take it away from the circulation of the important nuclei of the city.
The houses are attached to the wall and use it as a house wall, and some tower and other spaces such as rudimentary gardens or improvised orchards, integrating nature and history with the popular, a fact that already existed in the eighteenth century when it was allowed use the wall for other purposes, since it is no longer a defense. They are houses of reduced size, one floor or ground floor and another upper, small and anarchic openings, doors mostly lintels.

THE MAIN SQUARE OF CÁCERES

Plaza Mayor is a monumental district and public space of Cáceres, the main entry point to the monumental city. It borders on the east with part of the wall canvas, the best known, with the tower of Bujaco, the arch of the Star and the tower of the Pulpits. On the south side is the town hall and the forum of the Balbos and begins the street Pintores, the most commercial in Cáceres. On the western façade, its arcades stand out and it is full of bars, restaurants and various shops. In the center of the square there is a promenade built in 2001. In 2011 the square was remodeled.

THE HISTORY OF MAIN SQUARE OF CÁCERES

For centuries, it has been the meeting point, center of the social and commercial life of the city. The square was born on a plot equidistant from the two main settlements outside the city walls in the 14th century: the houses around the church of Santiago and the houses around the door of Coria. At that time, this slightly sloped rectangular esplanade was the ideal place for fairs, markets and leisure events. Thus, the centre of the city goes from being the esplanade annexed to the church of Santa María to occupying this place, which, over the years, will be shaped as the main or largest square in the city.