IT'S THE ONLY EARTH WE GOT
school year 2019/2020
IC Rita Levi-Montalcini Salerno - Italy
how can we save our environment?
What is the environment?
Pollution, causes and consequences
Types of pollution
How can we help?
Why is sustainability important?
the big sustainability wall
a logo for the project
to sum up
Here we are!
The alphabet of sustainability
sustainability for kids - an ebook
Great Pacific Garbage Patch - an ebook
Sing for the Climate - an ebook
Agenda 2030 - an ebook
When we talk about our environment we mean everything in the world around us that surrounds and affects all life on earth, including the air, food chains, the water cycle, plants, animals and other humans.
What is the environment?
- We breathe oxygen from the air
- We get water from the rain which fills our lakes, rivers and creeks and which we store in dams, reservoirs and water tanks.
- We get food from the plants, animals, fish and birds.
- We get shelter from the materials we take out of the earth and from plants that grow in the earth (trees) to make our homes.
- We get warmth from the sun, fire, power (electricity, gas, oil) and our clothing.
Because there are five basic needs of human beings from the environment and they are oxygen, water, food, shelter and warmth. We get these from the planet on which we live.
Why is the environment important?
- environment - the air, water, and land in or on which people, animals, and plants live
- earth - the world on which we live
- food chains - a series of living things that are connected because each group of things eats the group below it in the chain
- water cycle - the way that water is taken up from the sea, rivers, soil, etc., and then comes back down as rain or snow
- shelter – riparo
- creek – torrente
- dam – diga
- tank – serbatoio
Per ambiente intendiamo tutto quello che circonda il mondo, la vita degli esseri umani.
Il ciclo dell’acqua, la catena alimentare, piante, animali e altro.
L’ ambiente è importate perché fornisce all'essere umano ossigeno, acqua, cibo, rifugio, e calore
The main cause of pollution is plastic. In the Pacific Ocean there is "the plastic island", a collection of waste. Another cause not to be underestimated is smog: the harmful gases from the exhaust of cars or industries can also cause death.
As regards damage to human health, air pollution involves high concentrations of agents that lead to increased respiratory diseases such as bronchitis, asthma, emphysema, cardiovascular disease and the formation of malignant neoplasms (lung cancer and leukemia). As for the damage to the environment we can list four main types of consequences: - ozone hole; - greenhouse effect; - acid rain; - global warming
A synonym for dirty environment.
In the last few years the use of this word has become widespread, so much that in common language the word pollution is often used as a synonym for dirty environment.
The actual pollution consists instead in the direct or indirect introduction into an environment of substances or even of energy capable of transforming the natural equilibriums, also producing effects on human health.
The impact of these pollutants on the environment has two main consequences:
- Pollution=damage caused to water, air, etc. by harmful substances or waste
- Envirorment=the air, water, and land in or on which people, animals, and plants live
- Substances=material with particular physical characteristics
- Energy=the power and ability to be physically and mentally active
- Natural=as found in nature and not involving anything made or done by people
- Greenhouse effect=Effetto serra
La causa principale dell’inquinamento è la plastica. Nell'Oceano Pacifico c’è l’isola di plastica, una raccolta di rifiuti. Un'altra causa da non sottovalutare è lo smog: i gas nocivi dallo scarico di automobili o industrie possono anche causare morti.
L'impatto di questi inquinanti sull'ambiente ha due aspetti principali conseguenze: impatto sull'ambiente; impatto sulla salute umana. Per quanto riguarda il danno all'ambiente possiamo elencare quattro tipi principali di conseguenze: - buco nell'ozono; - effetto serra; - pioggia acida; - riscaldamento globale. Per quanto riguarda i danni alla salute umana, l'inquinamento atmosferico determina un aumento delle malattie respiratorie come bronchite, asma, enfisema, malattie cardiovascolari e formazione di neoplasie maligne (carcinoma polmonare e leucemia).
When we first think of pollution we often think of trash by the side of the road. This type of pollution is called land pollution. Land pollution is anything that damages or contaminates the land.
Air pollution is when unwanted chemicals, gasses, and particles enter the air and the atmosphere causing harm to animals and damaging the natural cycles of the Earth.
Water pollution is when waste, chemicals, or other particles cause a body of water to become harmful to the fish and animals that need the water to survive.
Causes of Land Pollution
There are many causes of land pollution from the trash we throw away in our homes to waste produced at giant factories. Sometimes chemicals from the trash can contaminate the soil and eventually the groundwater we need for drinking. The main cause of land pollution are:
Natural Causes of Air Pollution
Some sources of air pollution come from nature. These include eruptions of volcanoes, dust storms, and forest fires.
Natural Causes of Water Pollution
Sometimes water pollution can occur through natural causes like volcanoes, algae blooms, animal waste, and silt from storms and floods.
- Water pollution is the contamination of waterbodies, usually as a result of human activities
Land pollution is the deterioration (destruction) of the earth's land surfaces, often directly or indirectly as a result of man's activities and their misuse of land resources
- Air pollution can be defined as the presence of toxic chemicals or compounds (including those of biological origin) in the air
- Trash = spazzatura
- Garbage = immondizia
- Unwanted = indesiderate
- Dust storms = tempeste di polvere
- Harmful = dannosa
- Through = attraverso
- Blooms = fioritura
L'inquinamento del suolo è tutto ciò che danneggia o contamina il terreno.
L'inquinamento atmosferico si verifica quando sostanze chimiche, gas e particelle indesiderate entrano nell'aria e nell'atmosfera causando danni agli animali e danni ai cicli naturali della Terra.
L'inquinamento delle acque si verifica quando rifiuti, sostanze chimiche o altre particelle fanno sì che un corpo idrico diventi dannoso per i pesci e gli animali che hanno bisogno dell'acqua per sopravvivere.
HOW CAN WE HELP?
Water is essential to life. Two thirds of our planet is covered by water. Clean water is very important for a healthy life. Water is precious. Help to save it and keep it clean! When you have a shower use less water. When you go to the toilet do not leave the water on while you wait for it to get hot.
How can we best deal with rubbish and help make the world a better place?
Can you imagine your life without electricity? It would certainly be a darker, colder and duller life. NO light, NO television, NO computer, NO fridge, NO electric guitar, NO doorbell! It is very important to save electricity. But how can we do it? Well, in a variety of ways!
Pollution is killing our Earth. One of the most important things we can do to help the world is recycling. Recycling is a way to take trash and turn it into new products. There are a number of different recycling processes that allow materials to be used more than once.
Renewable energy is the energy that is collected from renewable resources, or those
SOME USEFUL TIPS
- Have showers rather than baths. Short showers use less water and also there is less use of energy to heat the water. Have 3 minute showers by wetting yourself, switching off the water while you soap all over and shampoo your hair, then turn the water back on and rinse under the shower, and then turn it off.
- Clean your teeth by putting water into a glass. Use the water for wetting your toothbrush, rinsing your mouth and cleaning your brush.
- Help your family save water by using a watering can to water plants and vegetables in the garden rather than using a hose.
- Use a bucket of water to wash your bike, or the dog.
- Help your school save water by switching off taps properly and using the water fountain for drinking water.
SOME USEFUL TIPS
- Things to do so you won't need to run the air-conditioner:
- Keep doors and curtains or blinds closed in summer during the day to keep out the heat.
- Open doors and windows on summer evenings to let cooler air into the house.
- During winter open curtains and blinds during the day to let in any sunshine, then close them in the evening to keep in the heat.
- Don't switch on lights during the day.
- Switch off the computer, TV or radio if you are not using it.
- Use the new light bulbs. 15 watts in a new bulb is equal to 75 watts in an old one. They last longer too.
- Switch lights off when you leave a room.
- Walk or use your bike whenever it is safe to do so.
SOME USEFUL TIPS
- Help make a compost heap or start a worm farm to use up food scraps.
- Sort out the garbage into what can be recycled and what can't. Use the recycle bin.
- Save computer paper by printing on both sides.
What can be recycled?
All sorts of materials can be recycled. Some of the most common processes in use today involve recycling plastic, glass, metals, paper, electronics, and textiles. Typical used items made of these materials include soda cans, plastic milk cartons, newspapers, old computers, and cardboard boxes.
The Recycling Loop
The recycling symbol, or loop, has three arrows. Each arrow represents a different step in the recycling process. These steps are:
- Collecting recyclable materials, like aluminum cans and plastic bottles.
- Processing the old materials and making new items.
- Buying items made from recycled materials
What can you do?
Be sure to recycle everything you can in your house and school. There is almost always a "recycle" trash can around. Be sure to drop your used aluminum cans and plastic bottles there. At home, be sure to put paper items like the newspaper, cereal boxes, and homework pages into the recycle bin.
Why is renewable energy important?
Much of the world relies on non-renewable energy to heat their homes, power their electronic devices, and power their cars. Once these energy sources are used up, they will be gone forever. Developing technologies that can efficiently use renewable energy sources is critical to our future.
Major Types of Renewable Energy
- Wind Power - the power of the wind.
- Solar Energy - the rays from the sun.
- Hydropower - water from a dam or a river.
- Wave and Tidal Power - the vast power of the ocean's waves and tides.
- Geothermal Energy - heat from inside the Earth.
- Biomass Energy - burning plants such as trees as well as creating fuel from plants.
- energy - the power from something such as electricity or oil that can do work, such as providing light and heat
- Watering can= Annaffiatoio
- Hose= Pompa
Si può usare meno acqua utilizzando la doccia invece del bagno
- Electricity a form of energy that can be produced in several ways and that provides power to devices that create light, heat, etc.
- Duller=più scialbo
- Curtains= tende
- Light bulbs =Lampadine
Si può utilizzare meno energia non utilizzando i condizionatori
- recycled - having been used before and then put through a process so that it can form a new product
- recycle bin - a container for waste that will be recycled, for example, paper or glass
- Deal with = trattare
- Compost heap= mucchio di compost
- Food scraps = avanzi di cibo
- Garbage= spazzatura
si può buttare meno spazzatura riciclando e riutilizzando gli oggetti
- recycling - the process of collecting and changing old paper, glass, plastic, etc. so that it can be used again
- plastic - an artificial substance that can be shaped when soft into many different forms and has many different uses
- recycling loop=ciclo di riciclaggio
Riciclare significa raccolta e sostituzione della vecchia carta, vetro ecc. in modo che possa essere riutilizzato.
Il simbolo del riciclaggio ha tre frecce, ognuna delle quali rappresenta un diverso momento del ciclo: raccolta dei materiali, elaborazione dei vecchi materiali e creazione di nuovi e acquisto dei materiali riciclati.
- Renewable energy - energy that is produced using the sun, wind, etc., or from crops, rather than using fuels such as oil or coal
- Renewable= Rinnovabile
- Tides= Maree
- Used up – esaurito
- Critical – cruciale
- Dam – diga
Che cos'è l'energia rinnovabile? Le energie rinnovabili utilizzano fonti di energia che non vengono "esaurite". Ad esempio, l'energia solare del sole è rinnovabile, poiché non "consumeremo" tutta la luce .
Six Examples of Sustainability Problems in the Real World
- Agriculture & Deforestation
- Biodiversity (the balance between all lifeforms in an area or on the planet)
- Sustainability the quality of being able to continue over a period of time
- Use up=esaurire
- Run out=scarseggiare, terminare
La sostenibilità cerca modi per esaurire oggi le risorse che ci serviranno domani. È importante perché le ritorse che usiamo saranno importanti anche per le persone che vivranno dopo di noi.
Matching pairs 1
Matching pairs 2
Matching pairs 3
It's the only earth we got!
Make the world a better place
Let's save the planet!
Work for a better world
Sustainability is ...
How to save the planet
Koalas in Australia
The alphabet of sustainability
Look for the active letters
Trees and matches
Save the planet!
Help the world!
Pollution ... solution ...